Wednesday

Ruin Is A Gift

“Dear David

We haven’t had any communication in a while, and it’s given me time I needed to think. Remember when you said we should live with each other be unhappy so we can be happy.

Consider it as testimony to how much I love you that I spend so long pouring myself into that offer trying to make it work.

But, a friend took me to the most amazing place the other day, it’s called Augusteum. Octavian Augustus built it to house its remains.

When the barbarian came in, they trashed it along with everything else. The great Augustus, Rome first true great empiror, how can he even imagine that, Rome, the whole world as far as he was concerned, one day will be in ruins.

It’s one of the quietest and loneliest places in Rome. The city has grown up and around it over centuries; feels like a precious wound, like a heart break you won’t let go off, as it hurt too good.

We all wanted things to stay the same David. Settle for living in misery because we are afraid of change, things crumbling to ruins.

Then I looked around this place, at the chaos it’s endured, the way it’s been adapted, burned, pillaged and found the way itself to build up again. And I was reassured maybe my life has’t been so chaotic it’s just the world it is and the real trap is getting attached to any of it.

Ruin is a gift. Ruin is the road to transformation. Even in this eternal city, the Augusteum showed me we must always be prepared for endless ways of transformation. Both of us deserves better than staying together. Because we are afraid we’ll be destroyed if we don’t.”

- Eat Pray Love -